This Medicaid program provides health insurance to eligible individuals who require nursing home care or who require an enhanced level of care to remain in a community setting and who are aged (65 and over), blind, or disabled. This program pays for nursing home care, home health aides, hospital services, doctor visits, prescriptions, and other healthcare needs, depending on what program a person is eligible for.
Eligibility for the program depends on several factors including income, household size, resources, etc. and the applicant must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Family’s income must be under the income limit
- Adults must be a Legal Permanent Resident for no less than 5 years – this requirement does not apply in certain cases
- Resources such as savings, checking accounts, bonds and immediate disposable assets must be below $2000
The monthly income limit for this program is $2,250.
Even if you do not meet the criteria above, you, or your representative should consult with a case worker to discuss you current situation and determine if you can become eligible for this program.
How to Apply
In Person: Contact 201-368-7667 to schedule an appointment to meet with a case worker. Staff will conduct a brief screening process and schedule an interview appointment. Applications are processed within sixty (60) days of the date of application.
Applicants are required to provide (please make copies of all documents) the following verifications:
- Proof of Age such as Birth Certificate, Driver’s License, Military ID, etc.
- Proof of Legal Status such as a Birth Certificate, United States Passport, Naturalization Certificate, or Alien Registration Card (front and back)
- Proof of Identification such as a Driver’s License, Social Security Card
- Proof of Marital Status and spouses social Security number and date of birth such as Marriage Certificate, divorce decree, death certificate, separation papers
- Proof of Residence such as Mortgage Bills, Property Tax Bill, Rent Receipts, Property Deed, Fully Executed Lease, PSE&G bill, recent mail addressed to you
- Proof of Current Gross Income such as proof of: Social Security income, Veteran’s Benefits, Disability or unemployment income, pension income, recent pay stubs, alimony, etc. Proof of any other type of income – copy of benefit checks or benefit notice
- Income taxes and 1099’s for the last five (5) years
- Proof of Assets and all financial transactions for the past 60 months for all open or closed accounts. This includes, but is not limited to, checking, savings, and brokerage accounts, CD’s, stocks, bonds, IRA’s, other retirement accounts, annuities, trusts (including special needs trusts), money market accounts, credit union accounts, all other investments, and proof of checks and deposits over $1,000 You must provide 60 consecutive months of statements and passbooks for all of the above
- Life insurance policies – the actual policy showing the owner and face value. If face value is over $1,500, you must obtain cash-in value from the life insurance company
- Prepaid funeral contract – if applicable
- Proof of Other Health Insurance such as any other health insurance ID cards you have
- Closing statements for any land or real estate bought or sold
- Deed to house and/or transfer deed, if land or house was transferred
- Copy of paid nursing home bills and corresponding canceled checks
- Social Security Card and Medicare Card
- Copy of Power of Attorney or Guardianship documents
- Other documents may be required at the time of the interview
Please notify the case worker if the applicant’s income is at or below 100% of the Federal Poverty Level and the applicant has not transferred any assets or resources for below market value during the previous 60 months. The applicant may be eligible for a streamlined application process.