This Medicaid program provides health insurance to low income individuals who reside in the community and who are aged (65 and over), blind, or disabled. This program pays for hospital services, doctor visits, prescriptions, and other healthcare needs, depending on what program a person is eligible for.
Eligibility for the program depends on several factors including income, household size, resources, etc. and applicants must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Family’s income must be under the income limit
- Adults must be a Legal Permanent Resident for no less than 5 years – this requirement does not apply in certain cases
- Resources such as savings, checking accounts, bonds and immediate disposable assets must be below $2000
How to Apply
Paper Application: You must complete a Medicaid Application for Aged Blind or Disabled Individuals and return the completed application along with the required verifications to the agency.
No interview is required. Applicants will be contacted by mail to request any missing verifications that we cannot verify electronically. Once all verifications are received, the application will be processed and a final eligibility determination will be made. Customers will be notified by mail once an eligibility determination has been made. ABD Medicaid applications are processed within forty-five (45) days of the date of application.
Applicants may be requested to provide the following verifications:
- Proof of Legal Status such as a Birth Certificate, United States Passport, Naturalization Certificate, or Alien Registration Card (front and back).
- Proof of Identification such as a Driver’s License, Social Security Card.
- Proof of Other Health Insurance such as any other health insurance ID cards you have.
- Proof of Residence such as Mortgage Bills, Property Tax Bill, Rent Receipts, Fully Executed Lease, PSE&G bill, recent mail addressed to you. If you live in a home with another person, you must also provide a letter signed by that person indicating the living arrangements including how much you pay in rent, utilities, and other household expenses.
- Proof of Marital Status such as a Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, Death Certificate
- Proof of Income such as last eight (8) week’s paystubs (if employed), Proof of: Social Security income, Disability income, pension income, alimony, etc. Proof of any other type of income – copy of benefit checks or benefit notice.
- Proof of Resources such as last three (3) months bank statements for all checking/savings, and financial accounts including stocks, bonds, annuities, etc.