New Jersey FamilyCare provides health insurance to parents and dependent children, pregnant women, and low income adults up to age 65. This program pays for hospital services, doctor visits, prescriptions, and other healthcare needs, depending on what program a person is eligible for.
Eligibility for the program depends on several factors including income, household size, etc. Children age 18 and younger may be eligible for New Jersey Family Care/Medicaid if their family’s total income before taxes is at or below 355% of the Federal Poverty Level. Parents may also be eligible if income is at or below 138% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL). Pregnant women may also be eligible if the income is at or below 205% of the FPL.
To be eligible you must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Family’s income must be under the income limit
- Adults must be a Legal Permanent Resident for no less than 5 years – this requirement does not apply in certain cases
How to Apply
On-line: The most convenient way to complete an application is to apply online at the NJFamilyCare website. Elderly and Disabled individuals are not eligible to apply for Medicaid through the on-line application process. The agency will receive the application electronically and contact you by mail to request any required verifications.
Applicants will be contacted by mail to request any required verifications. Once the verifications are received, the application will be processed and a final eligibility determination will be made. Customers will be notified by mail once an eligibility determination has been made. NJ Family Care applications are processed within forty-five (45) days of the date of application.
Applicants are required to provide the following verifications:
- Proof of Legal Status such as a Birth Certificate, United States Passport, Naturalization Certificate, Alien Registration Card (front and back), or I-94.
- Proof of Identification for each person Included on the application such as a Driver’s License, Passport, Alien Registration Card, School ID. If you have a child under the age of 19 without ID, complete attached “Certificate of Identification” Form which is attached to the application
- Proof of Income such as a tax return for the most recent year. If you did not file a tax return, or if the tax return is not representative of your current income, you may submit alternate verifications including: paystubs, employer letter, profit/loss statement, signed letter of support or contribution from outside source, Proof of: Social Security income, Disability income, unemployment compensation, pension income, alimony, or any other income.
- Proof of Other Health Insurance – Health Insurance card for each person included on the application that has other health care coverage.